Friday, March 13, 2009

The Beat of Our Drum

I have always been one to march to the beat of my own drum, as far back as I can remember I've always been one to do things my own way no matter how backwards that way might be it's just who I am. I am more than just a little bit stubborn (I think that was originally my middle name but they had to change it maybe the hospital made them I'm not for sure) I will dig my feet in firmly and not budge if I don't like the way something is going. It's always been one of my best and worst traits. Now I have a five year old son who is the center of my world he makes it go round and round everyday and low and behold he has inherited that stubborn streak that I posses. He too marches to the beat of his own drum he also has to do things in his own way. I have seen him on more than one occasion square his feet jut out that little chin and flat out refuse to do something that he doesn't want to do and there isn't a thing on this green earth that will budge him. Now my mother always told me when I was growing up that one day I would have children and they would pay me back for everything that I put her through and let me tell you it delights her to no end to get to see this happen. We have had many long days here at our house you can see it coming before it even happens he squares his feet sticks out his jaw and the fight is on. It has taken lots of time and lost tempers and prayer and on some occasion me just flat out laughing at him because while it's not funny yes it is because well momma was right I know good and well he gets it from me. I have after many trial and errors found the best way to deal with his stubbornness it finally occurred to me what would make you do whatever it is and we have had far less incidents since. Even through all this though I know that that very stubbornness will take him far in life when he pursues something he want I know he will be able to go the distance and see it through. I know when he sees an injustice in the world he will plant those feet and do his best to right it because while he's stubborn and hard headed he is also kind and funny and considerate of others and he has a heart of gold. So I am very proud that this son of mine marches to the beat of his own drum, it will take him where ever he chooses to go.

~Mary B~

No comments: