Monday, March 30, 2009

Junk collecting or Recycling? Either Way...






I have been married to my wonderful husband for the last seven and a half years and in those seven and a half years I can't tell you how many times I have fussed about the "Junk" that he collected. It was everywhere my yard looked worse than Fred Sanfords (who is one of his hero's I might add), but back on point. I was not happy about his collection. Over the past year or so though I have seen his collecting in a new light. First off he has gotten alot better about what he brings home the majority of what he does bring home is usable, secondly he has been working really hard at getting the yard cleaned up, throwing out the true "junk" and organizing and putting up what is usable. I am very proud!! On to the picture, a few years ago I would have been very upset about my husband bringing home a truck load of no good tires from work, the other day I called him and asked him to. Now I haven't gone and lost my mind completely, I have found a new love of recycling things that would just clog up a landfill anyway, plus it saves lots of money. This ugly old big truck tire is now home to my potato crop for this year. I am going to try growing several other things in tires too. I am very excited. It is an instant raised bed. This thing right here is a handy dandy recycled thing. It is the hood off of a seventies model ford truck. I take a tow strap and hook it to my four wheeler and have a instant sled that is perfect for hauling dirt and mulch, picking up the sticks in the yard, or just hauling whatever I need moved around. Like I said Handy Dandy! He recently brought home all these wood fence panels that one of the places he does business with was going to throw away because they had decided to put up chain length fence. He saw them sitting on the ground next to the dumpster and they said sure you can have them. He used the wood to build my chickens a tractor and house. It turned out very well and lumber has gotten expensive so the money saved was awesome too. We get lots of strange looks out of most people we know for our recycling, junk collecting ways. When someone is throwing something that is still perfectly good away I have gotten just as bad about speaking up and saying hey if your gonna throw it away can I have it instead. No sense in spending money when you can turn someone else's junk into what ever you need or want it to be. So like I said I see his junk collecting in a new light. I have brought a few things home myself. Well until next time.
~Mary B~

No comments: